Saturday, July 12, 2008

Mix & Match

Today I challenged myself to get out of the box, really out of the box.




This layout uses one of the busiest prints in the shop, from Sassafras Lass. I loved the paper but wasn't sure what to do with it. First I looked at what I loved on the paper. I was drawn to the deer and the red rose in the lower right corner. The "rays" drew the attention to that spot so I wanted to work with those. And I wanted to avoid any deer puns...something for which I'm sure all you are greatful.


I used the Sassafras Lass Cardstock stickers for the title letters. I used the cardstock stickers as added embellishments in the corner, drawing more attention to the red rose. Some of them were ruffled and some were set on pop dots. Then I added some sparkle, but still in keeping with the color scheme and flower motif, with the foiled flora doodles. I created a mat with the back of one of the sassafras lass prints, and created a border for that with the paper trim and a blue chalk outline.


Basic idea here - don't be afraid to add to a print. Just make sure you work with it, not against it!







Honestly, this layout was a bit more challenging. For this one, I challenged myself to mix & match prints. I chose the prints from the new Basic Grey Euphoria collection. Then I borrowed some of Violet's layouts for inspiration, scraplifting at its finest.


The key here is choosing prints in the same color family. Then prints are layered with enough contrast between to create definition. For example on the left side I have the pink floral on the base, then the darker floral, then the lighter green. If the green and the pink had been together it would have been too similar together. The two sidebars, in the same print, one on the left & one on the right tie the two sides together. Finally, some larger elements - the chip stickers, provide "anchor points" for your eyes to land on the layout. Finally I created mats with the same bazzill cardstock as the background sheets - in the lightest violet color, edged in green distress ink.

Come on in for a closer look at both layouts and don't be afraid to mix & match!

No comments: